On 29 August 1846, the Galleria della Accademia in Florence produced a copy of the David using the technique of plaster tracing. It is the oldest and most faithful copy of Michelangelo’s original David, a primary copy, prior to successive restorations which modified some of the elements made and chosen by the artist
The copy of the colossal head of David is kept in the Michelangelo Museum.
The CNR, the National Research Council, an Italian public organisation for the support of scientific and technological research based in Rome, has carried out a very high resolution scan on which a 3D model has been made.
A lost wax has been made of the model with the noble and precious cast bronze applying a platinum or white patina.
In the very high resolution scan it is possible to see the wedge marks of the original mould, a detail not visible to the naked eye, which proves that the colossal head of the David is indeed the original mould of Michelangelo’s David.
The very high resolution scan has also managed to reproduce the Michelangeloesque “unfinished”, visible in the upper part of the eye